official contest rules
1. all entries must be your own material and any submitted on behalf of someone else or by someone else will not be eligible for entry in this contest
2. All entries must be emailed to Submissions@writtenrock.ca and received before midnight on june 30 or will not be accepted
3. must be written in english and can be about any topic but cannot display discrimination or offensive material (in any way)
4. no images or fancy fonts keep it easy to read for the judges if you don't know which to use, you 'll never go wrong with times new roman 12 pt font.
5. unfortunately due to international regulations you'll need to be a canadian citizen and show proof if you're selected for cash prizes.
6. Must not be an employee, their immediate family or live with any employee, Sponsor or its corporate affiliates,
7. Pseudonyms (pen names) are not welcome for entering the contest but can be arranged for printing and publishing purposes after the contest is over.
8. spelling and grammar are not the biggest factors that'll hurt your chances but we reserve the right to disqualify entries that are too difficult to read or to edit stories for punctuation, spelling, grammar, or something minor as we see fit, without altering the meaning of the story, and without the permission of the author
The goal of this competition is to encourage the creation of new stories, reading and judging are done on a voluntary or nominal basis, all for the love of stories and the creation of a stronger literary world
how the grand prize will be decided?
Written rock has gathered a group of qualified people who differ in style, technique and story interests. This way we can offer an unbiased judgement for picking the prospects of this year's winner. For the grand prize a number system has been setup where our judges will rate your stories on a scale of 1-10 in various fields (that we'll get to later) we then add up the numbers and that'll be your stories score, the highest total from all the judges will be the grand prize winner.
how the runner-ups will be decided?
How the runner-ups will be chosen is a little different, the same panel of judges will choose their three favourite stories out of the rest of submissions. Since there's multiple judges (6-8) there could be anywhere from 3-24 stories that are possible candidates so the number system will be in effect to add up who'll be the three runner-ups. If your story has been chosen by multiple judges you'll be awarded an extra 10 points into your story score.
what happens if there's a tie?
If there's a tie the two stories share the prizes and acknowledgements that come with that prize fields. NOTE if there's 2 grand prize winners then there'll be only two runner up prizes instead of three.
fields that make up the score of your story
structure and message
bonuses that can add to your stories score
10 points for ending in exactly 5000 words
10 points if you start and end the story with the same word
5 points if your name appears on the "like list" on our Facebook group
add your name to the list click below
By entering you hereby grant us a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free and transferable license to print, publish, use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, and display your short story in connection, including without limitation in any media formats and through any media channels including but not limited to newspapers, T.V. magazines and writtenrock.ca without compensation. In connection with your submission, you also affirm, represent and/or warrant that (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to use and authorize Sponsors to use all copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights in and to your submission to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the manner contemplated by these Contest rules; and (ii) you have the written consent, release and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the matter contemplated by these Contest rules.This Contest is governed by the laws of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein and is void where prohibited by law. The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest or the Contest rules at any time without notice. All prizes must be accepted as awarded, are non-transferable and are not convertible to cash. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize or portion of the prize with a prize of equal or greater value. All prizes are awarded as-is. Sponsor is not liable for any lost, late, misdirected or stolen entries or inability to process entries, or any errors, damage or negligence that may arise in connection with this Contest, including human error. Sponsor is not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest.